Thursday, May 20, 2010

Injury

I've never been so frustrated with my body.


I know in training for the half marathon, I probably overdid it a bit. I could feel the wear and tear on my body at the end of my training, especially with my knees. From the research I've done online, I've self-diagnosed my knee problem as "runner's knee" or patellofemoral pain syndrome, which can be caused by overuse, worn out shoes, simple things like that. I definitely increased my mileage quickly in the end of my training to make up for weeks in which I was sick or busy and missed runs.


I haven't done that much running since the race. I've run maybe 3 times a week since then anywhere from 3 to 6 miles. I'm trying to maintain some level of fitness, while giving my body a rest. But even now, a month later, if I sit for a long time (like in class everyday) my knee gets really sore and stiff.


My knee has improved though, and I have less pain while running, but my injuries don't end there. After a 6.5 mile run last week my toenail (which had turned black during the half training) finally fell off. Perfect timing for summer and sandal season.


And now for whatever reason my hip is causing me severe pain, even while walking. I thought it was getting better and went for a short run on Tuesday, but after only 2.5 miles I had to stop and walk because it was really hurting myself and I don't want to injure myself further.


It's just so frustrating to me because the training and endurance is there. I have enough strength to run long distances, but my injuries are preventing me from reaching my potential. I really think a big part of it is that I desperately need new shoes, but I don't really have the money to purchase a good pair at the moment.


I just hate that I COULD run farther, that what's holding me back is hip or knee or foot pain. And I'm nervous that if I take too much time off of running, I will have to completely start over in my training and build up from the beginning to run again. And I hate that I have to put my goals on hold.


And I've really grown to love running. When it's nice out all I want to do is go for a long run. I love exploring different neighborhoods or trails. You get a different perspective on what's around you when you run.


That said I may take some time off while my hip and knee fully heal and hopefully find myself some new shoes. I'm ready to take my training to the next level, but I have to listen to what my body needs. I think fighting it any longer will just result in further (and more serious) injury and a more prolonged break from running.


Any advice on what to do to maintain running shape while injured would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment